Tuesday 8 March 2011

Richard Billingham - An inspiration

For one of my personal blogs, I thought I would write about one of the photographers I did a lot of work on when I was back in college. That guy was Richard Billingham.

The reason I picked him is due to his work he did photographing his parents and home. It was done on a cheap disposable camera and shows what he was raised around. To me, the images show that you don't need to have a rich background and posh parents to become a top photographer. I did several images in his style using my own camera, one of my favourites being one I took of my cat which was inspired by the image below.



The picture is titled Mother and Cat and shows a no holds barred image of his mother Liz and one of their pets. He commented that in his house, sometimes pets seem to be the most normal members of the family.

I like this image for it's simplicity. It shows that pictures don't have to be of beautiful objects or posed models to be great pieces of art, they don't even have to be on expensive cameras or edited. The photos Billingham took in this set were taken for his studies whilst he was in university, and they all look similar to this one, showing his family in their council flat in Birmingham.

Information taken from - http://www.nationalgalleries.org/collection/online_az/4:322/result/0/51129?initial=B&artistId=10101&artistName=Richard%20Billingham&submit=1

One of the pictures I took for this set is shown below, it is of my own cat Pepper.



I took it this way to show my cat the way I see her, a posed little tortoise shell who can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It shows her in her natural habitat, my bedroom where she spends most of her days when the balcony door isn't open, in a dirty, run down council flat.

Overall, I love Richard Billinghams work because it shows that you don't need to be a top notch photographer with the best camera out there and expensive equipment to take a photo which says a thousand words and sells for a lot of money. It also shows that you don't need top models, high quality locations and props, natural images taken in natural environment are enough, no matter what they are.

Everything is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment